Getting Unsampled Data from Google Analytics 360 Using Resource Quota:
Resource Quota is a new tool offered by Google to allow Google Analytics 360 users to get up to 100M sessions of unsampled data using the Reporting API V4 (instead of using BigQuery or the Unsampled Reports API).
By default, Canvas will first try to partition your query to eliminate sampling. However if you know this won't work, or if you are making a query that includes Calculated or Unique metrics, you can use your Resource Quota.
You will need a trial license key or a Premium subscription to use the features discussed in this tutorial. If you haven’t already done so, sign-up for a free 30-day trial and instantly get your license key so you can begin.
If you are an existing customer, contact email@example.com to request a free 30-day trial of the Premium subscription.
- Open Analytics Canvas and apply your license key (you only need to do this once)
- Go to New Source > Google Analytics and choose Reporting API V4.
If this is your first time using Canvas, it will ask you to authorize a connection to Google Analytics. The authorization is between your machine and the Google Analytics API. Your tokens are not accessible by us and we cannot access your data.
- Select the View you wish to query from your list of Google Analytics Accounts and Properties. Note that the View must belong to an Analytics 360 account in order to use Resource Quota. Analytics 360 views are denoted by a star on the Account icon.
- Make your query by selecting your dimensions and metrics
- Click on the Sampling Tab to view the default settings. You now have the following options:
- Use partitioning if possible to eliminate sampling
- Only use partitioning to attempt to eliminate sampling
- Use only Resource Quota to eliminate sampling (for up to 100M sessions per query)
In this case, to ensure that you use Resource Quota, select Do Not Partition and Use Resource Quota. This will ensure that Canvas only uses Resource Quota in this query.
That’s it! You’ve now used your Resource Quota to get unsampled data from the Google Analytics Reporting API V4 with Analytics Canvas.