A Strategy for Data Preparation – tutorial transcript
Prior to the start of the data preparation process, it is necessary to answer the following questions:
- What data is needed for the analysis?
- What data is relevant and available?
- What kind of cleaning and transformation is needed?
- What data preparation techniques will be used?
- What will be the result of the data preparation?
Data preparation combines all the activities needed to construct a dataset from the initial raw data. The result can be used for reporting and visualization, and fed to data mining tools. Tasks usually include collecting, verifying the quality of, cleaning, formatting, integrating and transforming the data, and they can be performed multiple times and in varying order.
You can download a free trial of Analytics Canvas to follow along with the video.