Today we are pleased to announce the release of Analytics Canvas Version 1.8.1. Thank-you to our loyal customers for their suggestions, our beta testers for their contributions, and our hard-working staff who helped make this into one of our most comprehensive releases to date.
In Version 1.7.5 we focused on enhancing our integration with Tableau, allowing users to generate Tableau Packaged Workbooks and publish both TDE and TWBX files to Tableau Server and Tableau Online. We also introduced email as a delivery option for dashboards and files, and launched new functions for working with dates and analyzing or parsing text fields.
New In Version 1.8
Version 1.8 includes:
- A new welcome screen with links to an in-app product tour, new sample data sets, and new ‘how-to’ videos describing how each of the data blocks work.
- Three new blocks to simplify and enhance the analyst’s ability to explore, cleanse, and analyse data sets.
- Expansion of the Parameterization feature to enable a whole new level of automation.
New Welcome Screen
With data visualization tools like Tableau changing the way the world consumes data, analysts are discovering that tools for visual data discovery, preparation and report automation can be much easier and more powerful than custom coding a spreadsheet.
To help these analysts benefit from the automation and analysis capabilities that Canvas has to offer, we have launched a series of new videos and created a new welcome screen with links to our resources.
Get a better understanding of your data and automate more steps of your reporting process with these new blocks.
- Rank block – fast and efficient ranking of data based on one or more columns. No SQL or complex formulas required!
- Mapped Combine block – for when you’re combining two tables together and the data lines up, but not the column names. The visual column mapper makes this process a breeze.
- Data Profile Block – for getting data about your data. Quickly and easily find missing fields, date ranges, data types, and more.
New Automation Options
We continue to expand on the Parameterization feature released last year. Customers had asked for the ability to ‘script’ a Canvas by running it multiple times, with each run taking a set of parameters, such as the Google Analytics View ID and a filename for the resulting dashboard.
In Version 1.8 we’ve expanded on this feature to further enhance the automation capabilities and minimize or eliminate manual touch from routine reporting.
Here’s what’s new:
- Email options, inlcuding sending account and distribution lists, are now available as parameters.
- Tableau Server and Tableau Online publish points can be passed in as parameters.
- Database users can now inject parameters into SQL statements.
With Parameters and Server Automation you can now fully automate a reporting process from report generation through distribution by email or publishing to Tableau.
Upgrade or Try Version 1.8
If you’re an existing user of Analytics Canvas, simply uninstall your current version through the Windows control panel, then download and install the latest version found here. All of your settings and authorizations will remain in-tact. If you’re new to Analytics Canvas, sign-up to get your full featured, 30 day free trial.
We’re here to help you get started with Canvas or with any of the new features. Email email@example.com with your questions or to request a support call.